Today, in digital television, the current broadcasting standard is DVB-T2. However, many have retained the equipment of the DVB-T format, therefore, relevant questions arise. What is DVB T2 and DVB T, what is the difference between DVB T2 Vs DVB T, and is it great we give comprehensive answers.
DVB-T2 Vs DVB-T Features
DVB is an abbreviation of the English words Digital Video Broadcasting, which means “digital video broadcasting”. Index T (Terrestrial) indicates that the broadcast is over the air.
Testing of terrestrial digital TV started in the early 2000s. For broadcasting, the European standard DVB-T was used.
Technically speaking, DVB-T uses COFDM (Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing) modulation, allowing HD quality transmissions, MPEG-2 video compression, and data rates up to 31 Mbps.
The use of the DVB-T standard made it possible to solve other problems to improve television broadcasting:
- reducing the power of the transmitting device by reducing the minimum allowable value of the input signal of the receiver;
- a decrease in the signal-to-noise ratio, which improved noise immunity;
- increasing the range of confident reception;
- protection against reflected waves, which made it possible to obtain a confident reception while driving;
- reliable reception even with an indoor antenna.
Want to know about 3d And Xd.
DVB-T2 is the second generation of terrestrial digital television. An increased compression ratio is used for encoding DVB-T2 video and audio data. This made it possible to transfer data not one, but several transport streams at once. The new standard was required to reduce the costs of broadcasters while simultaneously improving signal quality.
difference between dvb-t and dvb-t2
Despite the fact that the previous format was taken as a basis, the difference between DVB-T and DVB-T2 is fundamental, which prevents their compatibility.
- Changed video and audio data encoding (from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4).
- Higher compression ratio. This allows you to transmit a clearer picture, as well as fit a larger number of channels in one transport stream.
- Now it is possible to transmit data of different structure in one stream. This is achieved by placing the digital stream into the PLP (abbreviation of the English words Physical Layer Pipe), that is, into a separate backbone layer. This is important for freeing up the etheric space.
Thus, the use of DVB-T2 allowed:
- to increase the data transfer rate by almost 1.5 times;
- increase the volume of data transmission, send additional information (teletext, program guide);
- improve the picture resolution (which is important when the aspect ratio is 16: 9);
- to increase the range of signal propagation, which means to ensure reliable reception at a greater distance from the TV center or repeater;
- broadcast several channels at once in one stream, which allows freeing up a certain amount of radio frequencies for their other use;
- provide a more reliable level of protection against interference.
To understand how they differ, let’s take an example: a steam locomotive and an electric locomotive are both locomotives. However, the second, of course, is better and is arranged in a new way. Are you in favor of the old or the new format? For DVB-T2!DVB-T rules!
Will TV or set-top box with DVB-T catch terrestrial digital TV
When purchasing a tuner or TV, you need to study the instructions and pay attention to the type of decoder. Some devices support both standards.
Since the transition to digital in the DVB-T format was initially planned in our country, TVs and tuners of earlier years of production had a corresponding decoder. Such TV sets and set-top boxes do not have the support of modern “digital”.
Which is your best Sony XF Vs XG Series TVs.
Is it possible to convert dvb-t to dvb-t22
What if you already have an old-style console?
Firmware, that is, reinstalling the DVB-T tuner software, will not help. This procedure is useful if the tuner has begun to junk: confuses channels, does not respond to commands, or the image quality has deteriorated sharply. In this case, flashing saves.
Alteration of the receiver of the TV decoder or set-top box, in principle, is possible. This will require replacing the demodulator, which, as a rule, is combined with the processor in one integrated circuit (chip), and the crystal frequency generator. You just need to select the appropriate chip for compatibility and the number of legs. Re-soldering the chip and crystal oscillator can be done by an experienced radio technician with the skills and appropriate tools.
Is there DVB T3?
The DVB-T standard existed for ten years. The arrival of the second generation format forced the consumer to change the receiving devices to new ones. The question arises whether DVB-T2 will face the fate of its predecessor.
This will not happen in the coming decades. In the foreseeable future, it is impossible to achieve an increase in the data transfer rate, and further compression will only lead to picture defects. So viewers can breathe out and rely on the long-term use of modern equipment.