How To Choose Ram For Laptop? One of the most important components of a laptop that directly affects its efficiency is the memory module. The random access memory constantly updates the machine code, which changes its size with every action of the processor, sometimes up, then down. The size and frequency of RAM are especially important when working with energy-intensive, demanding software. For example, such software includes specialized programs for working with video or images, as well as “heavy” modern games.
If the newly installed “RAM” refused to run on the laptop, one of the “fail” options is insufficient RAM. To understand this, you need to find out the value of the “RAM” in the minimum requirements of the game (program) and compare it with the amount of installed RAM.
How To Choose Ram For Laptop?
You can understand how much memory is on a laptop using the AIDA64 utility. It is a powerful and versatile program that has access to the hardware of the laptop. With its help you can:
- Analysis of the configuration of the “filling”.
- Testing the performance of a laptop.
- Find out the characteristics of the “hardware”.
- Monitor the temperature conditions of the laptop.
- Understand which component is next to which.
In order to find out all the information about the installed operating board using the AIDA64 program, you must follow the detailed instructions:
- We launch the AIDA64 utility.
- Click on the “Motherboard” section.
- In the menu that opens, select “Memory”, where we find out the volume.
- In the “SPD” item, you can see the module name, type, serial number and other detailed information.
Let us consider separately each RAM parameter and analyze what it means and how important it is for the device.
Recommended for you
- Best 2400mhz DDR4 Ram For Laptop
- Best DDR3L Ram For Laptop
- Best DDR4 Ram For Laptop
- Best DDR3 Ram For Laptop
The name of the module does not really play a role in the efficiency of the RAM, but it should be remembered, since you can find additional information about this memory from the manufacturer on the Internet. In the future, we will help to find out with what components it can “cooperate”.
The amount of RAM is the most important volatile parameter, on which the speed of operation and the overall performance of the laptop depend. Here the de facto rule “The more, the better and more powerful” applies.
Manufacturers in modern devices install at least 4 GB and this is quite reasonable. From this, it follows that all current devices use a 64-bit version of the operating system. This suggests that the laptop can process 64 bits of data simultaneously. If you install a 32-bit version on an operating system with a volume of more than 4 GB, the system simply will not “see” beyond its set limit. And it will remain working in its own format.
There are only two types of RAM modules:
- DIMM is a RAM format that is installed on stationary personal computers.
- SO-DIMM is an improved version of the previous type, installed in laptop computers, ultrabooks, netbooks. Also used to expand the amount of RAM.
Laptop Memory type
RAM for a laptop is divided into several types, where each chain is a new version of the previous one.
So, the types of RAM that are used at the present time:
- DDR is the first type to replace prehistoric SDRAM. Compared to its predecessor, it can accelerate twice as fast. This becomes noticeable in the speed of data transfer.
- DDR2 – this type was used from 2003 to 2010 and was a worthy replacement for the first type.
- DDR3 is the next memory type with lower power consumption and larger pre-swapping (4-8 bits). There is also a variant of DDR3L, where power consumption is reduced by another 10%.
- DDR4 is the fourth generation Double Data Rate memory. It began to be actively used in 2012 and is still relevant. Compared to the previous version, it has 16 banks, which also affects the data transfer speed.
Data transfer speed is an important factor, which affects the RAM and, in particular, its frequency. The clock speed must be within the acceptable ratio with the operating frequency of the motherboard bus. For example, if a module with PM 1800 was purchased, and the “motherboard” supports a maximum of 1600, then such “joint” work would lead to system failures and errors. Therefore, before buying a “RAM” board, we check whether the laptop supports it.
Another important factor is the RAM supply voltage. Let’s consider an example, memory types:
- DDR2 consumes 1.8 V.
- DDR3 consumes 1.5 V.
- DDR4 consumes 1.2 V.
After seeing these indicators, further, you need to be guided by the following rule: the less power consumption, the less its heat release. It follows from this that the board itself heats up less and the cooling costs in the laptop are reduced.
If you want an answer to How To Charge Laptop Without Charger?
How do I choose RAM for my laptop?
As already mentioned above, in order to choose RAM for a laptop, you need to start from the characteristics of the “motherboard”. Each motherboard manufacturer puts on the official website a list of comparable RAM modules.
Manufacturer and type of module
In the computer hardware market, the following RAM manufacturers received good reviews:
As for the type of device, there is nothing to think about. In this case, we are considering laptops – it means that SO-DIMM (short micromodule) is definitely used here, no other is given.
For the correct selection of the creator of the second bar (to expand the volume), the most proven option would be to buy a microchip from the same manufacturer.
appropriate type of memory
Note again, in order to choose the appropriate type of memory, you need to pay attention to the technical characteristics of the motherboard, which can be found on the official website.
If the main goal is to create a powerful device, but within reasonable limits, then you should use the minimum DDR4 or DDR3L type. Today, older type bars are no longer relevant.
Professional programmers, system administrators, and simple developers choose the amount of memory according to an unwritten rule: “there is never too much memory” or “the more, the better.” And this has its own truth. But again, only if the resource of the motherboard allows, well, the power reserve, since the energy consumption from the power supply depends on the number of installed strips.
Therefore, before choosing a new memory for a laptop, it is better to decide on the purposes of its use. For work and games, it is better to install RAM with a volume of at least 8 GB, and for home needs 2-4 GB is enough.
Want to know What To Do If Laptop Slow To Load?
The speed of operation depends on the frequency, of course, the higher the frequency, the faster the device “flies”. But do not forget that before choosing: you need to check what frequency the laptop supports, or rather, its main board. If the permissible frequency of the bus is less than the PM “RAM”, then this will not lead to good. It must be equal or less.