Multi-monitor configurations of the system, once considered something incredibly fantastic, are becoming more and more relevant today. In work and school, multiple monitors enable multitasking, allowing you to comfortably work in multiple applications at the same time. In games, additional monitors expand the view and contribute to a deeper immersion in the gameplay. If connecting a pair of monitors is rarely associated with any difficulties (except for selecting a connector), then organizing 3 monitor setup or more displays often causes all sorts of problems. So let’s discuss How To Setup 3 Monitors On One Computer?.
What hardware do you need for Setup 3 Monitors On One Computer and best video cards support
Perhaps the most common mistake is to assume that the adapter supports connecting as many monitors as there are connectors on it.
Even on simple office models and entry-level gaming video cards, you can see, for example, four connectors for monitors. If you use them all and try to turn on the PC, then some of the monitors will simply not work. What is the problem?
To avoid this situation, first, you need to study the product description, paying attention to the number of supported monitors. The number of simultaneous displays may be less than the number of available interfaces.
Next, it is worth examining the characteristics of the monitors for Setup 3 Monitors on one Computer:
- permission (ensure compatibility with the adapter);
- refresh rate;
- available connection interfaces.
As for the characteristics of video cards, you should pay attention to such parameters.
- The already mentioned number of simultaneously connected monitors.
- Types of interfaces. It is advisable to do without adapters – conversion may affect the image quality or screen refresh rate. It is also worth examining the features of the interfaces in order to choose the best option.
- Available video memory. Ideally, it is desirable to have at least 1 GB of video memory for each monitor.
- Memory bus bandwidth. In this case, the more the better.
If you are xbox user you must read guide on How To Connect Xbox One To Tv.
In general, the connection of three monitors is supported by all NVidia models of the 600 series and above, as well as AMD graphics cards, starting from the 5th series. Of course, with the appropriate number of connectors. Most AMD cards make sure to use the Display Port for multi-monitor connections.
You shouldn’t forget about the performance of other components either. For example, using a multi-monitor configuration instead of a single display increases labor efficiency by up to 60%, but increases the number of open windows and applications. This means that for comfortable work you need a more powerful processor, more RAM. Of course, all this leads to an increase in energy consumption, which means that there is a need to purchase a powerful and reliable power supply. Most adapters that support three or more monitors have a power connector. By the way, it is recommended to connect no more than 2-3 monitors to one video card (depending on performance), if we are not talking about specialized solutions.
Professional graphics cards for 3 monitor setup On One Computer
Unlike conventional consumer and gaming video adapters, this is a highly focused solution designed to handle graphics-intensive applications. For example, graphics accelerators for video processing. Among other things, among the professional video cards there are models for creating video walls. So Matrox C680 can deliver a resolution of 4096 × 2160 pixels on 6 monitors. In this case, you should not count on high performance in games. The advantages of such solutions are compactness, economical energy consumption, low noise level and easy organization of cooling. In other words, problems with assembling a system from several video cards are not expected in this case. Software will help to unleash the potential of a professional video card.
built-in video cards support Setup 3 or 2 Monitors On One Computer
Modern integrated graphics cards based on Intel and AMD processors can serve up to three monitors. If the “blue team” posted information on this topic with a detailed description of possible configurations, then AMD does not openly publish data, so you have to trust the reviewers and testers.
How To Setup 3 Monitors On One Computer more than the video card supports
The choice of additional equipment depends on the goals of creating a multimonitor system, which determines the final cost of implementation. What options are there?
- Splitter (splitter) . Used to duplicate the signal to two or more monitors. The main advantages are ease of connection and affordable cost.
- Video wall controllers . In most cases, they are used to split the signal into several monitors (expansion) with an increase in the total resolution. The high cost is due to the complexity of the equipment and the used image processing technologies.
- Multi-display adapter . A simplified version of the video wall controller, but in contrast to the previous solution uses a simpler processor and existing GPU systems. For example, Matrox DualHead2Go Digital ME allows you to split a video signal with a resolution of 3840 × 1200 on two monitors with a resolution of 1920 × 1200 pixels with the ability to stretch the image and independent operation of each display.
- External video card . Most often USB-C 3.0 (Thunderbolt 3) is used for connection. Similar solutions are offered by Gigabyte (and not only) complete with a gaming video card or a slot for it. The solution is not popular due to its high price. An interesting option for laptops.
- Adapters / adapters / docking stations . In addition to connecting an external video card, USB-C can be used to connect adapters with HDMI or DisplayPort output. The docking station allows you to further expand the functionality of your PC or laptop with USB connectors, a memory card reader and other accessories.
- Daisy chaining displays . This feature is called Multi-Streaming (MST) and is available on select monitor models. For example, there are similar products in the Dell Display Port 1.2 Serial Catalog. Thus, you can use up to five monitors with a resolution of 1680×1050 pixels.
As you can see, there are solutions for all occasions, including options for PC and laptop.
Systems with two or more video cards
The most common and rational option when creating multi-monitor systems for work, study, games and streaming. Modern motherboards may have several slots for video cards, for example, in the model for GIGABYTE X299-WU8 workstations , seven PCI-E x16 slots are offered, but be sure to study the scheme of their work in the product description. For productive systems, schemes with a bit depth of x8 and higher are recommended.
Almost all gaming adapters have a massive cooling system, so they can interfere with the installation of each other. In addition, there must be free space between the adapters. If there is not enough space for installation, you can resort to connecting through a riser.
There are several common configurations for the interaction of two or more video cards.
When using CrossFire / SLI technology, it is better to install identical adapters: the system will adjust to the weakest card, and the amount of video memory is not summed up.
Collaboration of several adapters is possible if their series coincides. A multiprocessor CrossFire configuration is used for merging, and its support is indicated in the product description. This solution is aimed at improving performance, and in games that support the technology, you can get an increase in FPS.
AMD Eyefinity technology is used to create a multi-display system with a single visual space. The function combines the monitors connected to the video card into one with a higher resolution. Depending on the adapter model, up to six displays can be installed via DisplayPort ports. The technology can work with integrated graphics as well.
In this case, you need to install the same adapter model, but without reference to the manufacturer. The company has an alternative for interoperating multiple video cards called NVidia SLI. If CrossFire AMD is supported on almost all motherboards with multiple PCI-E slots, and configuration is performed automatically, then using the green command technology requires purchasing a license from NVidia, therefore it is present on more expensive motherboards. The setup itself is a little more complicated and is done manually.
To create a multi-monitor configuration, its own solution is also proposed – NVidia Surround / 3D Vision. In this case, there is no binding to the type of connection used, but only three screens are used for the merge.
The listed options are suitable for gaming systems, but there is not always a need to create a single visual space. So you can do without SLI / CrossFire and even use AMD and NVidia graphics cards in one computer. As already mentioned, in this case the video cards work separately, which also has the right to life. The power of one adapter can be used for games, and the other card can be assigned other tasks, for example, streaming.
Fine-tuning the operation of monitors and adapters is carried out through software: NVIDIA control panel or AMD Catalyst. You can use Windows tools to simplify customization of display modes of monitors, as shown in a short guide from Microsoft in the video below.
What graphics card can run 3 monitors?
There are a lot of options but Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G Graphics Card is the best budget option for running a 3 monitor setup.
Another interesting option is the use of discrete and integrated graphics. In this case, you need to activate the integrated graphics in BIOS by enabling PCI / iGPU and Multi-monitor mode. Of course, in this case, only separate operation of video cards is also possible.
A multi-monitor configuration can include not only computer monitors, but also Android and iOS devices. For example, this can be useful in connecting a drawing panel. There are corresponding applications for this: Splashtop Wired XDisplay Free, iDisplay and their analogues. Most of them, alas, are paid.
How do you hook up 3 monitors to one computer?
When choosing a layout, you need to rely on your needs and goals. To implement the plan, it is not necessary to independently create a suitable stand and desktop.
In addition to the stands included with the monitor, you can use ceiling, wall and table brackets, platforms, as well as all kinds of stands with floor installation. For this, universal VESA mounts are used, less often non-standard solutions from monitor manufacturers. If you plan to use a display with a large diagonal in the system, then you should familiarize yourself with the features of mounting large monitors.