Laptop owners often face such a problem as overheating of the device. Often the only way to “perfect” its work is to increase the rotational speed of the cooler on the laptop. In this tutorial, let’s see How To Increase Fan Speed On Laptop.
Table of Contents
Before overclocking a cooler on a laptop, you should take into account the peculiarities of this process. The higher the speed of rotation of the impeller, the more noise it makes, consumes more energy, and sucks in more air along with dust, so you will have to clean the laptop more often. However, due to the increased airflow, the device cools better.
Accordingly, when the fan speed is reduced, it will make noise and consume less energy, however, it will also cool the system worse. When running high-performance applications and games, the processor is under more stress and gets hotter than when watching movies or surfing the Internet. In this mode, reducing the rotational speed of the cooler can be fatal – the processor can overheat too much and fail.
Recommended for you Best Laptop For 3d Modeling And Rendering
How To Increase Fan Speed On Laptop?
Laptop overheating is one of the main problems most of its owners face. Here we are going to discuss ways to increase the fan speed of laptops.
You can increase the fan speed on a laptop by:
- Overclocking Cooler Via Software
- AMD OverDrive
- Other programs
- Bearing lubrication
Let discuss step by step
Increase laptop fan speed control software
One of the simplest and most intuitive utilities to increase the speed of a cooler is called Speedfan. This application is distributed for changing the cooler speed for free. How to adjust the fan speed with Speedfan:
- After the first launch, click the Configure button, go to the Options section, select the language and install Russian – this will be more convenient to use.
- In the “Indicators” tab, set the required rotational speed of the cooler in percent.
- In the “Configuration” – “Temperatures” tab, set the permissible values for the processor and hard disk.
After you click the “Apply” button, the fan speed will change. To make it cool better, you need to set the rotation speed to more than 100%. If this parameter does not change, then you can try to speed up the cooler in other ways.
Check it out Best Thermal Pastes For Laptop
How To Increase Fan Speed On Laptop via BIOS?
In the classic BIOS, the required parameter is located in the Power section and is called Hardware Monitor. The fan speed can be selected from the drop-down list. It is also set as a percentage.
New versions of BIOS have a UEFI interface (graphical shell). Depending on the manufacturer and BIOS version, the necessary settings are located in the Monitor, Hardware, or Advanced section.
To go to BIOS, you need to restart the laptop and press one of the buttons – F2, F10, Del or Esc before Windows starts. Which one depends on the model and BIOS version. To save the changes, press F10 and reboot the device again.
Check out How To Restore A Laptop To Factory Settings?
Increase Fan Speed On Laptop using AMD OverDrive
On a laptop with an AMD processor, you can install the proprietary AMD OverDrive utility. In addition to changing the fan speed, the program can make changes to the chipset settings, increasing the device’s performance. After installing and running the program, you need to do the following:
- Go to the Fan Control section, which is responsible for the settings we need.
- Set the desired rotation speed by moving the sliders up or down.
- To apply changes, click the Apply button, then the OK button.
- Go to the Preference section and go to Settings to check the box next to Apply my last settings. With this setting, the program will set the specified cooler rotation speed each time the operating system is started.
Other programs to Increase Fan Speed On Laptop
- Riva Tuner. This is an old utility released 15 years ago. It is also widely used, since it does not heavily load the system, allowing you to make the necessary adjustments.
- MSI Afterburning. With this program, you can not only change the rotation speed of all fans, but also overclock the video card.
- SAPPHIRE TriXX. A similar utility was developed by a well-known video card manufacturer. It has no brand identity, so it can be used to increase the fan speed on any laptop.
- Notebook Fan Control. A proprietary utility that can only be used on HP branded laptops.
- Smart Fan and Fan Controller. Similar programs developed by Acer for branded laptops.
- Fan Control. A program that controls the rotational speed of the cooler only in Lenovo notebooks.
Increase rotalional Speed Of Laptop fan by Bearing lubrication
Sleeve bearings are almost always used in computer coolers (with the exception of high-performance graphics card fans where ball bearings can be installed). Structurally, such a bearing is an axis that rotates inside the seat, resting on a graphite substrate.
After prolonged use, this substrate is erased, and the metal begins to rub against the metal. At the same time, the cooler itself begins to heat up more and its efficiency decreases: to overcome the increasing frictional force, more energy must be supplied.
It is recommended to lubricate these bearings periodically. Ordinary automobile lubricants “Litol” or “Solidol” in the amount of no more than a match head are suitable. To lubricate such a bearing, you need to disassemble the laptop and dismantle the cooler, and then carefully remove the fan impeller together with the axis from the slots. You need to act carefully, tucking the plastic impeller housing on both sides with small screwdrivers. If done correctly, the part will be removed even with little effort.
However, such a solution is a temporary “Crutch”, which is effective no more than a couple of times. If the cooler can no longer cope with the increasing loads, it is recommended to replace it with a more powerful one. You can also use a special stand for additional cooling.
The hardware way to increase the fan speed is to install a reobass. This is a special rheostat that connects to the motherboard with one connector, and to the cooler cable with the other. By changing the supplied voltage with a regulator, the laptop owner controls the speed of rotation of the impeller.
See also How To Connect Laptop To Tv Wirelessly?
However, this method is only suitable for coolers that are powered by a 4-pin header on the motherboard. 3-pin, which is also widely used in portable PCs, do not have this option. The cost of a good reobass with an indicator is about $ 10.
In general, increasing the rotational speed of the cooler is not difficult if you know How To Increase Fan Speed On Laptop. It should be remembered that no additional settings will help the device to cool better if its insides are hidden under a thick layer of dust. Remember to clean your laptop regularly and it will perform perfectly for years.