In today’s world, everyone uses a laptop, and the keyboard has an important part of using it. But few people use full functionality, since people simply do not know the purpose of laptop keyboard keys. Let’s take a closer look at what do the keys mean on a laptop keyboard and chew to the maximum.
what do the keys mean on a laptop keyboard
- Letters are usually used to write the desired text
- Shift on the keyboard is for using upper case, for example, for writing capital letters
- Enter performs the function of confirming various actions in applications
- Caps Lock locks or uncases uppercase
- DELETE deletes anything you selected
- FN Lock is mainly available only on a laptop and activates the function keys F1-F12:
Activates monitor or projector projection, disconnects and connects to Wi-Fi, adjusts screen brightness, and makes sound quieter or louder. Usually the keys for the keyboard have a description for some purpose or look like pictures on the keyboard.
- ESC cancels action or exits programs
- Ctrl and Alt can only use the keyboard in synergy with certain buttons
- Back Space is for deleting the previous character
- Windows opens “START”
NOTE! The laptop panel performs many important aspects in addition to standard operations, but also saves you time. As a whole, it is not simple itself, and we will help you figure it out for further use.
REFERENCE! Did you know the name of the number of the pressed key on the keyboard? This is a number, the name of which is “Scan Code”, assigned to all buttons bearing their own unique code. After using a key, the keyboard driver receives information about the press and understands what exactly you are pressing over and over again.
Before we start examining the areas of use in the work area, we will show you the layout of the keyboard in paints.
Please note that the key assignments on a desktop computer keyboard are not like a laptop. If the laptop keyboard has function keys via “FN”, then the computer keyboard keys do not.
See also Netbook Vs Laptop
The largest layout on the panel. The keys have letters and various symbols on the keyboard that indicate certain actions. The keyboard on a Russian laptop also contains additional designations of English letters, switching between which is carried out by the shift + alt button. Entering capital letters in the document is done by pressing shift on the keyboard and holding, followed by typing the required button on the keys. The shift key on the panel is used to enter different text characters, such as a set of punctuation marks or parentheses.
The assignment of the keys of the laptop keyboard has many connections and we will analyze their combinations below.
Alt key shortcuts
There are function keys at almost every step, but the most common keyboard button on a computer that allows you to perform the main list of actions is Alt:
- F4 allows you to close any window
- PrtScr takes a screenshot of the running window
- BackSpace cancels last action
- TAB allows you to switch between open windows
- SHIFT on the keyboard changes language layouts
Control key combinations
The control key on the laptop keyboard can be used as follows:
- End moves to the end of the text
- Home returns up
- ALT + DEL launches “Task Manager”
- The shift key on the pc working panel can replace ALT + DEL with SHIFT + ESC and perform the same function, but it is more convenient since the keys are closer on the keyboard.
- ESC launches the “START” menu
Feeling like you need to use less mouse and do extra work? The keys on your computer keyboard can do most of your work without clicking a mouse, and you don’t have to interrupt your work. Let’s go back and see what else the Ctrl key can do.
- S saves the document in the open window
- P helps to print the file
- C copies the selection
- V inserts the previously selected document or text
- Z Undo the last action
Check out How To Charge Laptop Without Charger?
Shift key combinations
The shift button on the keys does not look small, and it seems that it should perform a huge number of possibilities, but everything is simpler than it seems. The shift key together with the arrows selects characters from the specified cursor point. If the shift key is used with DEL, then they delete the file cleanly.
Win key shortcuts
The meaning of this carries with it a couple of significant possibilities and a couple of simple ones.
- R opens a command line with which you can launch important applications or any file
- F allows you to search for any desired file on your computer
- E opens explorer
- TAB switches characters in the taskbar
The laptop keyboard layout for hp, Asus, and Lenovo has a separate number pad on the right side, and it has two modes. Write symbols and signs when the NumLock key is on, and the second is cursor control thanks to this panel.
Moving with keys
Special buttons on the working panel, located in a separate block in the form of arrows, are used to move the cursor through the points.
This also includes other buttons on the panel:
- Home Moves the cursor to the very top of the text
- End If you use it, then you go down
- PageUp / PageDown moves the cursor to the window up or down in your text document
- The laptop keyboard has an abbreviated version of the Print Screen key – PrnSc: takes a screenshot of your screen and saves to the clipboard
- The arrows on both the keyboard of the calculator with NumLock off, and the main keys for the keyboard move you in the direction that the arrow is directed
See also What To Do If Laptop Slow To Load?
There are few such buttons for the keyboard, but they perform no less important functions than most others:
- Insert Change of mode, if you click on it, then if your cursor is in the middle of a line, then subsequent letters will replace the present ones. If disabled, characters will move sideways while entering, adding a new letter at the specified location.
Further, the following commands work with Ctrl +:
- + B Enable / Disable bold writing
- + I Turns italic on or off
- + U Underline words without breaks
- + shift + W performs the function above, but with breaks
- + L Set text to the left
- + R Right
- + E Aligns to center
- + J Justifies the page
- + 2 Creates 2nd line spacing
- + 5 Exposes one and a half
- + 1 Make single spacing
There are cases in which users do not want to use the functionality tied to F1-F12, but, on the contrary, want to switch to multimedia mode. Thus, they fulfill the second purpose without using FN. You can also change the value of the primary and secondary tasks in the BIOS settings. Where, in the System Configuration section, you need to find the Action Keys Mode line. If its value is set as Disabled, then the F1-F12 operating buttons perform standard actions, and you can use additional multimedia only through FN. The Enabled value gives priority to functions without using FN. But in this case, for the primary action, you will need to press FN.
In conclusion, I would like to recommend that you learn most of these key combinations for the comfortable use of a PC or laptop. This is a huge number of advantages and time savings in general. Is it easier to lie somewhere and not be distracted by the mouse, and even look for a comfortable surface under it?