To work safely on a MacBook, you need to be sure that the charge level is sufficient. Sometimes, despite the connected battery, MacBook Not Charging When Plugged In. In this case, you need to find out the cause of the problem and fix it. To do this, you need to know about what situations are and how to cope with them. The contacts must not be covered with rust for charging to take place normally.
Why is my MacBook not charging when plugged in?
When it is impossible to charge a laptop or MacBook, but outwardly no malfunctions are visible, it seems that nothing can be done. However, it is not. In most cases, when everything is connected but not working, you can fix the problem yourself. To do this, you need to understand why the laptop is not charging.
If the battery does not charge, the first step is to make sure there is voltage at the outlet. To do this, it is enough to connect an electrical device to it.
Important! Sometimes it is enough to reconnect the laptop in order for the charging to work.
This may be due to temporary interference when charging from the mains. They can refer, for example, to the operation of powerful electrical appliances. To further exclude the possibility of such problems, you can use an uninterruptible power supply or make sure that the washing machine is not connected during recharging.
In other cases, insufficient voltage in the outlet may be the reason why recharging does not take place. In this case, the battery is charged, but to a small extent. Usually this phenomenon is temporary, so the computer must be disconnected from the network, and try again.
How do I reset my MacBook battery?
First of all, it is recommended to disconnect the laptop from the mains, turn it off, open the cover and remove the battery, then reinsert it. In some cases, this will fix the root cause of the problem.
In doing so, the following is recommended:
- The time during which the battery will be removed should be at least 15-20 minutes. This ensures that the laptop is completely discharged.
- When charging is not working, the battery may not be the cause. We recommend that you carefully inspect the wiring to make sure there are no breaks or kinks in the cord. It is necessary to see if the wire is tightly seated in the connector, it may become loose on an old computer. This is the likely reason that it stopped charging. You also need to make sure that there is no damage to the battery. It is important that the connector does not have mechanical damage that may occur when dropped or hit by a heavy object.
- Service utilities can block charging when the battery is connected by controlling the operating mode. In some cases, it is allowed to do it only in the off state. If, for example, an HP laptop is not charging, charging may sometimes be blocked to 100% in order to extend battery life. In this case, you need to change the parameters of the corresponding utility.
If there is complete confidence that the battery is defective, it makes sense to buy a new one. In the event that the battery does not charge and you cannot figure it out on your own, you need to contact the service.
If the laptop does not charge the battery for an extended period, it causes wear and tear and shortens its life. Over time, this can cause it to charge for a much longer time than before. Sooner or later, it will require replacement.
Can MacBook chargers overheat?
Often during recharging, the rechargeable battery heats up. Therefore, it is not recommended to do this by placing the MacBook on a pillow or bedspread. However, the fan will not be able to effectively cool. An overheated battery can catch fire. After it gets very hot, it may shut down – at this temperature, a Lenovo, Asus, or MacBook laptop won’t charge. To make it work again, you need to give it time to cool down.
Reset and update BIOS
In the original MacBooks, the BIOS stores information about the main characteristics of the computer.
Help This information is critical for proper operation. This memory area is also called NVRAM. Here, the MacBook also stores data that allows you to manage the charging process. NVRAM is powered separately. This memory is non-volatile.
If it is recorded that the battery is faulty, then the MacBook will think so even if the problem is fixed. Therefore, deleting information is a prerequisite to see that the laptop is charging from charging.
Sometimes, due to random reasons, the content can be damaged. In this case, the normal operation of the laptop becomes impossible even if the charger is connected. It is impossible to correct information in NVRAM. In such a situation, it is necessary to completely erase it. After that, the standard values will be automatically entered into it.
Check also How To Update Laptop BIOS.
This can be done as follows:
- Turn on the MacBook.
- Press ALT / Option + Command + R + P at the same time.
- Keep the keys pressed for 5-10 seconds.
Then NVRAM will be cleared. Now you can make another attempt to connect the charger. Sometimes it helps if you disconnect the battery and then put it back.
The entrance to BIOS is different for different PC models
Reference! Older MacBooks use PRAM instead of NVRAM. It stores basic information about the computer. If the data is damaged, then it needs to be cleaned.
It is performed as follows:
- The computer is turned off.
- After that, they wait a few seconds and simultaneously press the Command, ALT / Option, P, R keys. It should last for 10 seconds.
- You need to turn on the MacBook.
- During loading, you must press and hold the following keys: Command, ALT / Option, P, R. They cannot be released until the gray boot screen appears.
- Then the keys are released.
This completes the PRAM erasing process. Then it may be necessary to set some parameters (for example, screen resolution). After reconfiguration, you can check again if the laptop will charge.
If laptops from other manufacturers are used, then the entrance to the BIOS is as follows:
- For Acer, press the F1, F2, or Del keys.
- In Asus – F2 or Del.
- Lenovo – F1, F2, Esc, Del, or F12
In another model, one of the listed keys may function. When the laptop does not charge, you need to try to clear the BIOS data.
You may like Lenovo Laptop Overheating Solutions.
ACPI and Chipset Drivers
When the laptop does not see charging, it is important to make sure that the installed drivers are working properly. To do this, you must ensure that the latest versions are installed. If this is not done, there is a risk of incorrect charging. When the MacBook does not charge, then when looking for reasons, you need to check the versions of the installed drivers and install the latest ones by downloading from the manufacturer’s website.
Why MacBook won’t charge
Each MacBook is designed for a certain power. The power device may be connected, does not always match it. Sometimes the user uses less charging power than needed to charge the battery. In this case, recharging will not occur normally. It is necessary to change the device to one that will have a suitable power. Otherwise, it will turn out that the laptop battery is connected but not charging.
The operating system monitors the health of the battery, for example, calculates the period when it is charging, but has exhausted its resource, and the purchase of a new one is required. The device status is displayed on the screen with a special icon. If the battery is not charging, a small red cross will appear on the icon. In this case, repairs will not help – you need to change the battery.
How do I fix my MacBook charger not charging?
If your MacBook uses a MacSafe adapter, it rarely crashes. When it is turned on and charging is not working, usually the problem can be dealt with as follows:
- When the laptop does not charge, then first check the tightness of the contact of the cord with the connector. Sometimes the reason for the lack of current can be an accident. It’s best to try plugging your MacBook into a different outlet for charging.
- If the previous action did not help to correct the situation, and the laptop stopped charging as before, you need to check the connector for dust, dirt, or foreign objects. It often happens that dust accumulates imperceptibly over time, preventing contact. You can use a toothpick to clean it. Contact oxidation should not occur.
- If the problem persists despite the efforts made, the system controller must be rebooted. To do this, turn off your MacBook, plug in the power adapter, press Shift, Control, Option, and the power button at the same time. Then the keys must be released. After that, the computer must be turned on.
If the charging does not work as a result, you need to try connecting another power adapter. If it works fine, then the problem was in the adapter. The battery can now be charged. Otherwise, it makes sense to contact a specialist for repair.
In some cases, if the connector is faulty, it can be disassembled, replaced or re-soldered. But this can only be done by those users who have the appropriate skills. Calling for service, although more expensive, guarantees quality service.
How to Prevent laptop charging problem?
To reduce the chances of a Lenovo laptop not charging, you need to know what to do:
- It is recommended to regularly contact the service department for a thorough cleaning of dust.
- The purchase of an uninterruptible power supply will allow you not to depend on the presence of power surges in the electrical network. This will reduce the risk of not charging the battery on an Asus, Lenovo or other laptop.
- It is necessary to keep the wires in order, protect them from sharp bends and breaks.
- A MacBook’s battery, or the one used by an Asys laptop, shouldn’t be left completely discharged for a long time – this will prolong its life.
It is not recommended to use counterfeit chargers. They may be short-lived, and their electrical parameters may differ from what is required.
If any laptop or MacBook Not Charging When Plugged In, you need to take the necessary steps to troubleshoot the problem. In most cases, fix the problem yourself. If this fails, you need to contact a specialist for repair.