For constant access to the Internet today, a smartphone is enough. But on a small screen, it’s awkward to type, reply to emails, or view documentation. Therefore, netbooks and tablets are competitors in the range of portable devices for surfing the Internet and performing simple tasks. Which is better a netbook or a tablet depends on the purpose of using the device.
Dimensions between Netbook Vs Tablet
Netbooks are suitable for a wider range of tasks, but they are larger. There are pluses in this: a physical keyboard, a touchpad, a higher screen resolution, and powerful hardware. But carrying around a Netbook is inconvenient. An average netbook with a 14-15 inch display and a disk drive weighs 2-3 kg. Lightest models: Acer Aspire S5 (1.2 kg), Asus Zenbook Prime UX21A (1.1 kg), Sony VAIO Pro SVP1322M9R (1.06 kg), Apple MacBook (0.92 kg).
Check also Laptop Vs Tablet
A tablet is a mobile device. By eliminating the keyboard, touchpad, smaller screen, and simplified physical components, the tablet is lighter and smaller than a netbook, but performance is also lower. The lightest, thinnest and most practical solutions on the market are:
- Xiaomi MiPad 2. Display – 7.9 inches. Thickness – 7 mm, weight – 322 g. The platform is productive, but there is no support for LTE and 3G.
- Apple iPad mini 2. Weighing 335 g, the device is 7 mm thick.
- Lenovo Yoga Tablet 3 PRO. With a thickness of 5 mm, it weighs 665 grams. The screen diagonal is 10.1 inches.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab line. Most tablet computers are only 5-6 mm thick and weigh between 265-395 g. Diagonal is 8-10 inches.
Today’s netbooks are getting smaller and lighter, but tablets can even fit into a jacket pocket, while a Netbook will need to buy a special bag. For an active person, a mobile device will be more convenient (if performance is suitable).
Screen and keyboard in Netbook Vs Tablet
In the production of tablets, IPS matrices and tempered glass are widely used to protect the screen from damage; users are encouraged to use devices with FullHD. These are the characteristics of not the most budget netbooks. Most often, TFN TN matrices are installed on Netbook PCs. But the displays of netbooks are larger – from 13-15 inches (for tablet computers – 7-10 inches).
Netbooks and laptops have a standard physical keyboard. The diagonal of 15.6 inches is enough to accommodate the maximum number of information blocks in a readable font. There is a touch panel for input, you can connect a mouse, flash drive, and other devices via USB. It is more convenient to work in a text editor, in the photo and video editors on a netbook.
Tablets allow you to enter the text from the screen, but this is inconvenient for long-term work. There are devices with additional keyboards (supplied in the kit or purchased separately). These tablets are larger and more expensive. These are versatile devices, but their small keyboard will take some getting used to. The layout may seem inconvenient: there is no digital and some information blocks.
Recommended for you Netbook Vs Laptop
Netbook Vs Tablet Device performance
In 2014, a gaming tablet with an Nvidia graphics card appeared. SHIELD is equipped with an 8-inch screen, wide sound range, functional stand-cover. There are additional accessories: a wireless controller with low latency, a stylus that supports 3D drawing. However, the differences between the netbook and the tablet in terms of performance are still large.
Performance is important only for gamers or professionals working with photo and video editors, software development, conversion. For most users, surfing the Internet, working in text editors, watching movies in HD quality is enough. These capabilities are fully provided by popular models of tablet computers.
Netbook Vs Tablet Functionality difference
Netbook meets the requirements of technical equipment, have a sufficient number of connectors, wide functionality. On the other hand, tablets are designed for simple tasks and convenient Internet access. In them, as in small netbooks, there is no optical drive (whether you need one is up to the user).
With a standard SIM card slot, the tablet can be used as a camera and communication device. To connect to the World Wide Web, you need a wireless Wi-Fi connection or 3 / 4G. For autonomous operation throughout the day, a powerful battery is required, which not all models are equipped with. Netbooks with a good battery last up to 5 hours without charging, tablet computers – 12 hours.
Laptops and netbooks can be easily connected to peripherals (there are different ports for this). The tablet may have HDMI (for connecting to a monitor and TV), LAN (wired Internet), USB, microSD, but some models are equipped with only standard USB. In the latter case, you will have to use wireless Internet, Bluetooth, and a USB hub.
Take look at How To Restore A Laptop To Factory Settings?
Netbook Vs Tablet price difference
The price depends on the manufacturer, functionality, and technical features of the devices. In one price segment, netbooks cost less than tablets. The latter appeared on the market later and are more technological.
For comparison: the netbook ASUS X102BA with a 10.1-inch screen (Check Price Here) and the tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 LTE version (Check Price Here).
- Diagonal: 10.1 for ASUS X102BA, 8 for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0.
- Processor frequency: 1 GHz vs.2 GHz.
- Number of cores: 2 versus 4.
- The amount of memory (RAM): 4096 MB versus 2048 MB.
- Built-in memory: 32 GB for the tablet.
- Communications: support for Wi-Fi Direct, 3G, 4G, GPS, Bluetooth 4.2, Glonass for Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0, ASUS X102BA netbook only supports Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi.
- Connectors: USB, mini-jack, G-sensor, a light sensor at the tablet. Additional devices can be connected to the netbook via Bluetooth. There are three USB ports (including one USB 3.0), HDMI, built-in card reader.
- Battery capacity: 3000 mAh for a netbook, 5100 for a tablet computer.
- Weight: 1.1 kg weighs ASUS X102BA, 0.347 kg – Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0.
- Dimensions: 185x266x29 for a netbook versus 210×124.4×8 for a tablet.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 has a large battery capacity, RAM. The processor frequency is higher, the number of cores is higher. Wireless interfaces are supported, but there are enough connectors.
Software difference in Netbook Vs Tablet
Most tablet computers run on Android and iOS (in devices for Apple), netbooks, and laptops – Windows 10 or 8. It is difficult to objectively determine which operating system is more convenient. Users choose based on personal preferences and requirements for the quantity and quality of running programs.
There is a wide selection in the Google Play store, but the number of utilities for Windows is much more. Full-fledged versions are installed on netbooks, on tablets – poorly adapted, inconvenient, and flawed. Because of this, it is impossible, for example, to edit photos and videos, scan documents, make presentations.
netbook vs tablet pros and cons
Each format has its own advantages and disadvantages, due to which the buyer cannot choose.
tablet pros and cons
Most newer tablets weigh 300-400 grams
Tablets have come into use relatively recently. They were designed to replace the computer completely, but at the same time they could fit in a small backpack, and weigh like a loaf of bread. But the power of the devices was far from even a budget Netbook, and they cost the same as top solutions.
Netbook had gained popularity by that time, but they were still large, cumbersome – it was inconvenient to carry them with you. The newest tablets are partially devoid of these disadvantages and have the following positive features:
- Ease. The first devices weighed much less than a Netbook, but it was still difficult to hold them in one hand. Today the average device weighs 300-400 grams. Exceptions are expensive options with a diagonal of more than 10 inches.
- Power. Apple has unveiled the tablet it should have been from the start. Its power surpasses Netbook and computers on Intel Core I5 processors, which are used for rather heavy tasks such as video rendering, 3D modeling.
- Autonomy. Modern tablets “live” on one battery for 12-15 hours under intense load. If you just watch a video, sit in a browser and chat on social networks, then you can forget about charging for a week.
- Sound. Acoustics in good models can replace entry-level portable speakers.
- Screen. Brightness, responsiveness, color accuracy are suitable for people whose professions are related to color correction.
- Multitasking. The amount of RAM allows you to keep several heavy programs in the background at the same time.
Despite the impressive list of advantages, the tablet also has disadvantages:
- Lack of content. This is one of the main complaints about tablets – they have got a productive filling, but there is nowhere to use it. For games and everyday tasks, a budget solution from three years ago is enough.
- Typing. This requires a separate keyboard, which already reduces practicality. The sensor is not suitable for blind printing.
- Price. Tablets with productive filling cost tens of thousands of rubles, exceeding 100,000.
Without these nuances, computers and laptops would have disappeared long ago.
Netbook Pros And Cons
Netbook are equipped with a full keyboard
The first Netbook appeared in the 80s 90s of the last century, so they have gone a long path of development. The device was conceived as a computer the size of a notebook with a wireless connection to the network.
But the first decisions weighed as much as a bicycle. This kind of, as originally planned, Netbook began to acquire in 2015-2020. A modern netbook has the following advantages:
- Compactness. Productive models that can compete with stationary PCs can be packed in a case no more than 2 centimeters thick, and they weigh 2-2.5 kilograms.
- Power. The line between a PC and a Netbook is blurred every year processors are becoming more powerful, and video cards for 2 generations are not divided into desktop and mobile.
- Availability of software. All programs that work on ordinary computers run on Netbook, which allows you to work with them anywhere.
- Keyboard. Netbooks are equipped with a full keyboard. Sometimes some keys are shifted, the block with numbers is removed, but typing is still convenient.
- Screen. High-quality matrices open up possibilities for working with color, and any resolution up to 4K gives more emotions when watching a movie or gaming.
- The possibility of an upgrade.
Among the disadvantages is weak autonomy in most cases. The Netbook can run on battery power for more than 5-6 hours only at a minimum load.
Netbook Vs Tablet: which is better to choose
Netbook Vs Tablet is the choice that depends on the personal preferences of the user and the tasks that you plan to perform. The netbook is comfortable to work efficiently and fully anywhere. You can pick up a productive model that will even allow you to use graphic editors. A tablet with a keyboard or (all the more so) without it is more suited for communications and entertainment: you can watch movies and videos, use games, chat on social networks, view e-mail and news on it.