Many users want to know about How To Restore A Laptop To Factory Settings in order to restore it to work: the laptop freezes, “glitches”, runs slower than it can, and generally behaves somehow incorrectly. Usually, the reason for this work lies in the accumulated junk and “junk” files that prevent the operating system from functioning normally.
The mistake of a novice user is that, when such problems arise, he hastens to reinstall the operating system, adding an extra headache. You will also have to install all the necessary software and perform some Windows settings. However, there is a much simpler solution – to return the laptop to factory settings, thereby making the device work normally. In this tutorial, let’s take a look at how to perform a factory reset on laptops of different brands.
What do you do when your laptop won’t factory reset?
It should be borne in mind that sometimes it will not be possible to restore settings on a laptop. This cannot be done if Windows has been reinstalled on it. Some users, purchasing a laptop with a pre-installed OS, rush to install a more familiar version of the “Maximum” by deleting the system partition. But it is there that the files that are needed for system recovery are stored.
The same thing happens if the laptop starts to “glitch” and you call the computer wizard. These specialists, instead of rolling back the laptop to factory settings, follow the path of less resistance – reinstall Windows.
Some pirated builds lack this necessary feature altogether. In this case, restoring the settings on the laptop will not work – the system partition does not contain the data necessary for this. Fortunately, you can restore a “clean” licensed Windows from an image that is available on the network.
When restoring a laptop, the user may lose the following data:
- Personal files on drive C: photos, videos, documents, and downloads. The data on drive D and everything else, if any, will not be affected.
- The system partition will be formatted and the operating system will be restored to its original state.
- After the first launch, you will need to install all the drivers that are used by the laptop components.
In fact, if you decide to restore your laptop, you will receive it in its original form as it was bought in the store. However, in any case, it is faster and more convenient than reinstalling Windows from scratch.
Check it out Best Laptop For Animation And Graphic Design
How To Restore A Laptop To Factory Settings?
Here we will tell you How To Restore A Laptop To Factory Settings for all laptop brands asus, hp, Toshiba, Lenovo, aser Samsung etc.
How To Restore A Laptop To Factory Settings of ASUS
To reset a laptop of this brand to factory settings, the manufacturer has created a special utility. Instructions for using it:
- Go to BIOS and disable the fast boot option (called Boot Booster). To do this, before loading the operating system, press the F2 button. The required option is in the Boot section. The Boot Booster parameter must be assigned the Disabled attribute by selecting it with the Enter button and the required option in the drop-down list. Before starting the laptop, you need to save the changes using the F10 button.
- Before rebooting, to reset the settings, you need to hold down the F9 key. The loading screen should be activated.
- After the utility prepares the files necessary for recovery, you will be asked whether you really want to return the laptop to factory settings.
- The operating system recovery process runs automatically without user intervention. At this time, the laptop should reboot several times. All that remains is to wait for the automatic update of all necessary drivers or install them yourself.
how to factory reset a hp laptop?
To restore factory settings on a laptop of this brand, turn it off, and also remove the disc from the optical drive, flash drive from USB ports and card reader, and disconnect all peripheral devices.
The laptop is reset using the following algorithm:
- After pressing the power button, you need to hold down the F11 button until the boot window of the proprietary Recovery Manager utility appears.
- Select the System Recovery option.
- A dialog box will appear that prompts you to save the data that the user is working with. Convenient if he forgot to do it.
The utility also works in automatic mode, so the intervention of the device owner is not required. Restart may be required, in some cases multiple times.
Take a look at How To Connect A Wireless Speaker To A Laptop?
Acer laptop factory settings
To return the Acer laptop to factory settings, you must first turn it off. After turning it on, hold down the Alt button, pressing F10 several times – once a second, until the system asks for a password. If no changes have been made, the default is the factory default password. To reset the settings – six zeros. In the dialog box that opens after this, you need to select the Factory Reset option.
This brand of notebooks can be reset to factory defaults using the eRecovery Management utility. If it is not installed, then you can download the application on the official Acer website. The required function is located in the “System Restore” section.
Samsung laptop factory settings
To reset a laptop of this brand to the factory settings, you need to find the Samsung Recovery Solution utility in the list of programs. If the application is not installed, you can download it on the manufacturer’s official website.
An alternative option is to run the preinstalled utility. To do this, hold down the F4 key before loading the device. Further – the algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Select the Restore item.
- Select Complete Restore.
- How to set a restore point Computer Initial Status.
At the request of the utility, select the option “Yes”, and after restarting the device, follow the prompts of the System Restore Wizard.
Resetting your Toshiba laptop to factory settings
To reset such a laptop to factory settings, you need to run the preinstalled utility. What you need to do:
- Turn off the device.
- When turning on, hold 0 on the digital block to the right.
- When a squeak appears, release the button.
Further – you need to follow the prompts of the program, agreeing with all the questions. As in the previous cases, the recovery is fully automatic.
You may also want to know How To Turn On Bluetooth On Laptop quickly
Resetting your Dell laptop to factory settings
After turning on the device, you need to press and hold the F8 button until the “Advanced Boot Options” window appears. Then we act according to the following algorithm:
- Select “Troubleshoot”.
- In the “Recovery Options” window, assign a more convenient system language and keyboard layout.
- Then select the user from whose account the system restore will be performed.
- In the next dialog, select the Dell DataSafe Rectore utility.
Then follow the prompts of the Recovery Wizard by selecting “Restore factory settings from checkpoint”. Using the same utility, you can not do a full reset but restore the last working OS configuration.
How To Restore A Laptop To Factory Settings using windows utilities?
The above methods are only suitable for laptops of a particular brand. At the same time, Windows itself has all the necessary tools to reset the settings of a laptop, tablet or stationary PC. In this case, a Windows installation disk is required (you can also use the one recorded on a USB flash drive).
Please note that other assemblies will not work. You need exactly the patch that was previously installed on the laptop, even if the version is the same. Let’s see how to do this. Windows XP is not listed because it is outdated.
Laptop To Factory Settings Windows 7
The first option is to use a troubleshooter. A dialog screen appears if the device terminated incorrectly for some reason. You can force this option by simply turning off the laptop using the power button. The next time you turn it on, a dialog box appears asking you to select “Troubleshoot”. You can also call this menu if you press the F8 button before loading the OS, selecting “Additional boot options”.
A dialog box called “System Recovery Options” opens. Here you need to choose the option that suits you more, for example, “Startup Repair” or “System Restore”. Following the prompts of the utility, you can restore the laptop to factory settings. The method will not work if the required files are missing or damaged.
The second option is to boot from the system image, but in the options offered, select not “Full installation”, but “Restore Windows functionality”. The setup wizard is slightly different, but it also performs all operations in an automatic mode. In this case, the last working state of the OS will be restored – until the moment when “lags” and “glitches” have not yet appeared. In both cases, depending on the power of the device, it may take up to half an hour to reset all settings.
Laptop To Factory Settings Windows 8
In this version of Windows, a utility to reset the laptop to factory settings is included in the base software package. Keep in mind that you can also use the same methods as in the case of the “Seven” – restore settings through additional boot options or using the Windows installation disk.
In order to use the basic utility, you need to do the following:
- Move the cursor from top to bottom on the right side of the screen to display the service menu.
- Select the item parameters – the cogwheel icon at the very bottom.
- Go to the “Change computer settings” section.
- Select “Update and recovery”.
- Choose the appropriate option – Recovery without data loss, complete reinstallation of Windows or Special boot options.
In fact, recovery without data loss is not a reset, as it restores information from the last checkpoint. In our case, you need to choose the second option, that is, completely reinstall the OS. The system will recover if the hidden partition containing the necessary files has not been removed.
After you click the “Start” button, the System Restore Wizard will start. Follow his prompts by responding to the dialog pop-up messages. After resetting the settings, the computer will restart and you will get Windows as it was after you bought the laptop. You may need to install missing drivers yourself.
Laptop To Factory Settings Windows 10
In Windows 10, you can also use the same means of resetting the settings to the factory defaults as in the “Seven”, or a utility from the basic package of applications. What should be done:
- Press the “Start” button and select the “Settings” section.
- Go to the “Update and Security” tab.
- Select the “Recovery” option.
- Click on the item “Reset the computer to its original state”.
Next, a dialog box will appear that will offer several options – delete files without reinstalling the operating system, or completely reinstall Windows and thereby restore the factory settings in the laptop.
In conclusion, it is worth adding that resetting the settings of a laptop does not always mean returning it to its ideal state and making it work normally. The cause of “glitches” and “lags” can also be a hardware breakdown – for example, a mismatch in the timings of the ramps or a hard drive that is out of date.
And the most common reason is dust that accumulates on the computer parts and prevents them from cooling normally, reducing system performance. In order not to constantly reset the settings to the factory settings, do not forget to regularly clean the device from dust, at least once every few months. Normal heat transfer ensures that all parts cool as they should and do not cause interruptions in operation.
Also, keep in mind that a stock cooling system may not be effective. In this case, it is recommended to use a special stand a kind of miniature table that creates an additional airflow using built-in powerful fans.