For modern children, gadgets have ceased to be an unusual toy. They are necessary for learning, spending leisure time, communicating with relatives and communicating with friends. The main task of parents is to choose the right device. Matrix and processor are important criteria. The first affects the brightness of the image, resolution and viewing angle. The second is responsible for the speed of loading applications and response to user actions.
We know that kids ages 4 and up love devices with lots of bright pictures and unusual features. We’ve looked at the main features of a tablet and how to Choosing A Tablet For Kids and pick the best one. Dividing the information into 10 tips, we presented important criteria for the child.
Choosing A Tablet For Kids
- How to choose a screen resolution for a children’s tablet?
- Which operating system should you choose?
- What is the optimal processor power for a children’s tablet?
- How to choose the amount of RAM for a children’s tablet?
- What is the best tablet weight and screen size for kids?
- How to choose the best battery?
- Does the child need Internet access for tablet?
- How to choose a tablet with the best free apps?
- Main price categories for children’s tablets?
- What options in “tablet” are useful for a child?
How to choose a screen resolution for a children’s tablet?
Screen resolution is the most important criterion for a child of any age. It will be interesting for 4-5 year olds to watch big bright pictures, and older children will be able to play various games. In this case, parents usually worry about whether using the device is harmful to the eyes.
The more pixels there are on the tablet screen, the better the image will look and the less grain (noise) will appear. It is recommended to select a high screen resolution according to the age of the child. For example, there are 7-inch tablets with 1280×720 or 2048×1536 pixels. The 800×600 resolution is already outdated and is suitable only for very young children.
No amount of iron and bright shell will help the tablet if the image quality is poor. In addition to the number of pixels, there are 3 types of matrix that affect the picture:
- TN was the first to appear and can still be found in inexpensive Chinese tablets. The picture is clear and colorful, but not as bright as in more modern options. Suitable for children from 4 to 6 years old, copes well with large images.
- The most popular is IPS, which is used by almost all manufacturers. It gives a wide viewing angle – no matter how the child turns the device, the image will always be visible. Suitable for children from 4 to 10 years old who spend a lot of time at the tablet.
- Recently, an Amoled LED Matrix has appeared. A huge plus is the lack of blinking, each pixel displays its own color and instantly reacts to user actions. Such screens are least of all harmful to vision, but they are also expensive.
Check also Best Tablets With Keyboards
Tablet operating system
Which operating system should you choose for kids?
There are 3 operating systems on the tablet market: Windows, iOS and Android. The interface, the number of free applications and programs, ease of use and even security depend on it. Each system has strengths and weaknesses, so parents need to consider the child’s preferences:
- The most popular is Android, which is installed on tablets of any price range from most manufacturers. It is considered optimal for children from 7 to 10 years old due to the huge number of free applications. The child will have access to the Play Market with thousands of games. However, Android is very demanding on battery power and wears out the battery faster than anyone else. Parental Controls don’t always work as they should, skipping apps that aren’t age-specific.
- Apple releases its gadgets only on the iOS system, which is considered elite. It responds quickly to user actions, has a beautiful interface, hangs very rarely and does not consume a lot of battery. However, the cost of such tablets (especially new ones) reaches several tens of thousands of rubles, the price of accessories is also overstated.
- Many people probably know about the Windows operating system. It is very easy to use and is perfect for children 4, 5, 6 years old. They are not yet as active in launching free applications (of which Windows are few) and do not often turn on the browser. The main weakness of the system is viruses that are easy to pick up even with valid parental controls.
What is the optimal processor power for a children’s tablet?
Tablets for children are equipped with powerful processors, because all bright and interesting games are very demanding on hardware. And a device without entertainment for a child of any age will quickly cease to be attractive. Judging by the feedback from parents, he also does not need the most powerful gadget: such devices are intended for professional artists and photographers, not children. All processors can be divided into 3 categories based on the number of cores:
- 2 cores. Such a processor is suitable for children 4, 5, maximum 6 years old. They are able to run not the highest quality cartoons, download any pictures and simple 2D games. 2-core processors are already considered obsolete, so such devices are quite cheap. In the reviews, parents say that the tablet is enough for a year or two, then you need to buy a more powerful model.
- 4 cores. These tablets are best for kids. They are capable of running most games, loading long movies, opening multiple browser tabs. Suitable for children 6, 7, 10 years old and even above. The cost of such tablets is slightly higher than that of the previous ones, but they will also last much longer.
- From 6 cores. Such tablets are considered devices for adults, they download heavy programs and games with any requirement. The device costs a lot of money because of its power, which a small child does not use. May suit children seriously interested in drawing and working in programs such as Photoshop.
Judging by the reviews, one of the popular processor options for guys is the MTK 8312 with two cores. It shows good results even with 3D graphics and is very energy efficient. Runs all apps for children from 4 to 6 years old and weighs a little.4.
How to choose the amount of RAM for a children’s tablet?
The RAM stores information that the child can use at any time. It affects the performance of the tablet, the number of freezes and the loading time of applications. The more tabs a child opens, the more memory is used. Children are often impatient, so a slow tablet will only upset them. In order for the browser, games, music, movies and pictures to load in seconds, you need to buy a device with sufficient memory. There are a huge number of options on the market, but only four are popular:
- 1 gigabyte. The minimum value is suitable for children 4-5 years old. This amount of memory is enough to load one simple game, watch small cartoons, play music in the background. These tablets are inexpensive, you can buy a device for a couple of years, then replace it with a modern one.
- 2 gigabytes. Found on tablets most often, it is perfect for a child who does not load heavy 3D games. 2 GB is enough for comfortable Internet search, launching several applications, watching weighty films and cartoons. Such tablets are more expensive, but they remain relevant longer. Apple has good options, and you can find decent deals with other operating systems.
- 3 gigabytes. Allows you to open any number of applications and comfortably include most of the games. This amount of memory requires a wide screen to display the vividness and vividness of movies and photos. The cost of tablets is high, but the child will be delighted. Gadgets with even more memory are designed for adults working with heavy programs, and children do not need it.
What is the best tablet weight and screen size for kids?
The standard tablet weight is 500-600 grams, it is suitable for children 6-10 years old. For adults, large-format versions of 700 grams and more have been developed. For young children, it is recommended to take a device up to 300 grams. Even with a case, the weight will not exceed 400 grams, which is perfect for walking with a tablet or watching long cartoons. In many ways, the feel of the gadget in the hands depends on the diagonal of the screen:
- 7 inches. The smallest tablets are perfect for a child 4-5 years old, as well as a pocket device. They usually have weak hardware, but are capable of running simple applications. For example, educational games encourage kids to use the tablet as a steering wheel or map, so light weight is a big advantage.
- 8 inches. These tablets weigh about 400 grams. They house better speakers and more powerful hardware. Apple has high-speed tablets that are relatively inexpensive. However, not all films can be viewed comfortably: black bars will remain above and below, since the resolution is considered non-standard.
- 9.7 inches. Ideal for children 7-10 years old who like to run games and surf the Internet. On such a screen, the smallest details are visible, and the weight is about 500 grams.
- From 10 inches. These tablets can be called portable computers, as the large screen and powerful processor allows you to get the most out of them. However, it is difficult for children to hold a device weighing more than 700 g, their hands will quickly get tired.
Check also Best Tablet For Designers For Drawing
How to choose the best battery?
Without going into technical details, we can say that the battery is a small part in the tablet, on which the operating time of the device depends. Manufacturers install 2 types of batteries in modern devices:
- controlling the charge;
- without charge control.
Thanks to this small feature, the battery performs much better. The controller analyzes the condition of the battery and disconnects it if the value drops to 3.2 volts. It prevents the battery from completely discharging, because the child will not follow this.
There are several additional parameters that you need to pay attention to:
- Capacity. Medium-priced tablets have a 5000-6000 mAh battery. In more powerful versions, the capacity reaches 10,000-12,000 mAh. At the same time, it is impossible to check the accuracy of the data when buying, it is recommended to opt for well-known manufacturers. Average power is enough for active use for 5-6 hours.
- Current strength. This parameter determines how quickly the device will charge. Standard tablets require 2.1 amps. It is not recommended to purchase a gadget with a lower value, otherwise the child will wait half a day until the device is ready for use.
- Number of USB inputs. The battery charges faster with dual power supplies, so larger tablets have multiple ports. However, this can only be useful with very active use, children aged 4, 5 and 6 years old usually do not use it.
- Equipment. If the family often travels with the tablet, it is convenient to choose it with various adapters. For home use, one wire is enough.
- Additional functions (flashlight, WiFi in the background, etc.) use up your battery faster. The child most likely will not need them. Parents say in the reviews that it is better to take a tablet without unnecessary “chips”, which slows down the battery.
Does the child need Internet access for tablet?
Almost all tablets have Wi-Fi access, but many still work with 3G and 4G networks. This function is necessary for children of 7-10 years old who are away from home without parents. 3G appeared first and is considered the most widespread network. 4G is only gaining momentum, providing fast internet access.
3G operates at a speed of 1 Mbps, making it possible to exchange not very heavy files, send messages and listen to music online. But the fourth generation downloads data on the network at a speed of 10 Mbps and is considered the fastest.
If parents are ready to spend significant money on a tablet, and the child is already old enough to actively surf the Internet on their own outside the home, then 4G will be the best option. It will allow you to watch movies online in high quality, have fun in online games and download any amount of information. The child will be able to listen to music, turn on videos and chat with friends without freezes and glitches. 4G tablet allows you to use all the features of your device anywhere.
Most expensive models have a built-in 4G modem. The most popular tablets are the iPad, Samsung Galaxy and Motorola Droid XyBoard. However, not everywhere in Russia the device will be able to catch the desired network, since they operate at different frequencies. The data is indicated on the packaging of the device. In Russia, there are 5 frequency settings that vary depending on the operator. That is, even an expensive tablet will not always find 4G.
The main disadvantage of such a module for parents is the price. A child aged 4-6 years old will have enough Wi-Fi, and children aged 7-10 will need 3G. For example, iPad Air 2 with the maximum memory capacity costs about 31 thousand rubles, and with a 4G modem – more than 42 thousand. It’s the same with budget models.8.
See also Best 10-Inch Tablets In All Price Ranges
How to choose a tablet with the best free apps?
Companies don’t get tired of promoting their app stores. Apple talks about quality control for the App Store, Google claims tens of thousands of Play Market positions, and Microsoft reports on the successful addition of new games to the Windows Phone Marketplace. Despite the loud advertising slogans, most of the programs in all 3 stores are either not suitable for children, or they will not be interested in them. In the App Store alone, more than 65% of apps are abandoned by publishers. When choosing a tablet, it is important to consider the strengths and weaknesses of each store:
- Windows offers unique free apps for watching movies, TV shows, and cartoons. Most of the material has been stolen from the copyright holder, which is of little concern to children and parents. However, the company doesn’t care much about the quality of the apps. Many people copy a popular name, demanding money for it, but in the end it turns out to be completely different. Microsoft has long promised to deal with the scammers, but so far they are not doing very well.
- Apple is known for its amazing quality control. Every application is tested and rated. If it is said that the game is suitable for a child, then this can be believed. If the user noticed an error and sent a complaint, the developer is obliged to solve the problem in a month. However, there are relatively few free apps and prices are very high.
- Google initially aimed to become the largest storefront, skipping almost all developers. Their unique search algorithms allow you to choose the right application from thousands of suggestions. The store is linked to Google+, reviews from friends are visible immediately. However, most applications are not of good quality. Despite the huge selection, in the end there is nothing to download.
Many new tab user confused in buying tablets here we have 10 Tips For Choosing A Good Tablet for every one.
Main price categories for children’s tablets?
The average cost of a standard tablet is about 200 dollars. For children from 7 years old, it is recommended to take the device a little more expensive, as it will remain relevant longer. Among budget brands, parents single out Lenovo, which produces tablets for children of any age. Of the more expensive ones, it can be noted:
- Apple iPad 3 16Gb;
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 SM-T311.
If the child does not care about the brand, you can find good options, especially for children 4-6 years old. For example, powerful hardware and a good screen have:
- Acer Iconia Tab A1-810;
- Lenovo IdeaTab A3000.
What options in “tablet” are useful for a child?
Additional features directly affect the cost of the device. Not all of them are useful for children, we have considered the most popular ones:
- Memory card. Each tablet has internal storage that ranges from 16GB to 128GB. You can initially buy an inexpensive model, and eventually purchase a microSD. The card is inserted into a special slot and serves as an additional place to store information. Apple does not provide such an opportunity, but there are many proposals for Windows and Android.
- Online maps. Sometimes they are downloaded after purchase, more often they are already downloaded to the tablet. Parents are advised to check that the cards can be used without a network connection.
- Camera. If a child has a simple phone that cannot take pictures, a tablet can be a good substitute. Of course, the picture quality cannot be compared with smartphones, but a small child is unlikely to want to create masterpieces. A camera with an 8 pixel extension takes photos without unnecessary noise, 5-6 pixels is not enough.
- Attachable keyboard. If your child plans to do homework on a tablet or spend time playing games, you cannot do without a keyboard. Most often, it is purchased separately, the main thing is that the gadget has a suitable connector.