The absence of wires and adapters simplifies the exchange of data, so owners of portable equipment willingly use the capabilities of radio channels. Bluetooth allows you to quickly transfer files, use the laptop as a wireless access point, connect an external device such as speakers, headphones, or a keyboard. To Turn On Bluetooth On Laptop, you need to perform simple steps, after which the connection will take a few seconds and will be carried out in a few clicks.
Table of Contents
How do I find out if my laptop has Bluetooth?
Almost all new laptops are equipped with an integrated adapter of this type, although some models (especially outdated or budget ones) may lack the component.
There are several ways to find out about the presence of a Bluetooth module:
- By stickers on the laptop case. Manufacturers place stickers with basic information about the computer on the top panel under the keyboard or on the bottom of the instrument. In the latter case, the laptop will need to be turned over.
- On the packaging from the device.
- In the technical documentation for the laptop.
- On the manufacturer’s website. To find information, you need to enter the exact name of the model in the search form, consisting of letters of the Latin alphabet and numbers.
- In the manufacturer’s technical support service (also by model name).
- Through the Task Manager. You can enter it through the Control Panel (section “Hardware and Sound), search on the Start menu (start entering the name of the application, and then click on the desired line in the list of suitable options), the Properties window, which opens through the context menu of the My Computer shortcut (right click on the icon).
In printed and electronic sources, you need to find the word “Bluetooth” or a symbol for this type of radio communication. Usually the version of the standard is indicated next to it. If there is no mention of the interface, then there is no adapter on the laptop.
Check also Ways To Share Internet Connection Windows 10 On Laptop
The presence of the module does not mean its serviceability, since the following options are possible:
- the component is out of order;
- the adapter is located on the same board with the Wi-Fi module and stopped functioning after the latter was broken;
- the system does not have a driver for Bluetooth support.
In the event of a physical malfunction, the setting will not give a result, but thanks to an unsuccessful attempt, the user will understand that it is time to show the laptop to the master.
How To Turn On Bluetooth On Laptop?
There are different ways to turn on Bluetooth on laptop let discuss it all in detail.
Enabling Bluetooth adapter
A functional adapter must be turned on. The state of a component can be controlled physically or programmatically. In the first case, they use the switch on the laptop case (marked with the corresponding icon), in the second, use the key combination (F1-F12 with Fn held down). Some models are equipped with a switch, the keyboard combination is indicated in the user manual or on the portal of the manufacturer of the equipment. The device may have an indicator on it with a drawn or embossed Bluetooth logo. When switched on, the miniature light is on continuously.
In the Device Manager, you can call the adapter’s context menu and click on the “Enable” item.
enable bluetooth on a laptop in Windows 10
There are two ways to enable Bluetooth on a laptop with this OS version:
- Through the notification center – click on the far right icon on the taskbar. In the menu that opens, find the button with the Bluetooth icon. A single press activates or deactivates the interface. This changes the background color of the element: in the on state it is blue, in the off state it is gray.
- Through the Start menu. From the sub-item “Parameters” go to “Devices”, then – to “Bluetooth and other devices”. The switch must be in the “On” position.
After these steps, the system will find devices with which you can pair.
Enable Bluetooth On A Laptop in Windows 8 and 8.1
For these versions, you will need to expand the side panel (appears when you move the cursor to the right edge of the screen or by pressing the Windows key and “C”. Select “Settings” (this button shows a gear), then – “Change computer settings.” Open the submenu Bluetooth, move the slider to the “On” position.
After completing the described actions, an icon will appear on the notification bar, with which you can easily manage the connection of available devices.
Enable Bluetooth On A Laptop in Windows 7
You need to start the Control Panel through the main menu, then go to the “Network and Internet” category, from there – to the “Network and Sharing Center” section. In the list on the left, select the line “Change adapter parameters”. All available connections will appear in the window, among which you need to select the one whose name says “Bluetooth network connection”. By right-clicking on the shortcut, a context menu will appear where you should select the “Enable” line.
Then you need to return to the Control Panel. In the “Hardware and Sound” section, click on the “Add devices” line, wait until the system finds equipment ready for pairing, and then connect to it.
See also How To Enter Bios Setup In Asus Laptop?
Enable Bluetooth On A Laptop in Windows XP
In this case, you can activate Bluetooth on a laptop through the Start menu. You need to click on the “Run” line, where you enter the services.msc command and press the Enter key. In the window with the list of services, double-click on “Bluetooth Support Service”. If the service is inactive, it will need to be started, for which you will need to do the following:
- Click “Run”.
- Set the “Automatic” parameter in the “Startup type” list.
- Go to the “Login” tab.
- Set the value to “Local System Account”.
Then you will need to click “OK”, and when prompted to restart the computer “Yes”.
Enable Bluetooth On A Laptop on Mac OS
To understand if Bluetooth works on a laptop running Apple’s OS, you need to:
- In the Apple menu, select the “System Preferences” item, then click on the Bluetooth line. By the presence of buttons for activating the interface and detecting devices that can be connected, one can judge that this type of communication is supported on the computer.
- Select “About This Mac” in the same Apple menu, click on the “Details” line, then go to “Hardware” and click Bluetooth. Displaying information about a module indicates the presence of an interface.
The Bluetooth icon should be displayed in the upper right corner of the screen. In the off state, the icon is gray, but by pressing a mouse button or trackpad, a menu appears, where to activate the module you need to select the “Turn on Bluetooth” line.
Enable Bluetooth On A Laptop from BIOS
In case of failures and reinstallation of the OS, the settings may change: the module turns out to be turned off, and the buttons, switches, and software settings are useless. In this case, you need to enable Bluetooth on the laptop via BIOS. To go there, you need to start pressing one of the keys F2, Esc, or another (the desired option is indicated in the laptop user manual or on the manufacturer’s website). When the Setup program starts, you need to find Bluetooth in the menu. If “Disabled” appears opposite the inscription, you should stand on the line, press the enter key, use the arrows on the digital block to move to the “Enabled” item and press Enter again. After exiting the program, the changes must be saved (select the “Exit saving changes” option).
Once the OS boots, the interface will be active and ready to be configured and paired.
Why can’t I find Bluetooth on my laptop?
It is not possible to connect the device to a laptop via Bluetooth under the following circumstances:
- The Bluetooth Adapter is missing.
- The Bluetooth Adapter is not connected to the motherboard.
- The Bluetooth Adapter is broken.
- The Bluetooth module is turned off.
- The system does not have the required drivers.
- The device to be connected is not available.
It is possible to find out exactly whether the module is installed in the laptop, whether it is working properly and whether it is supplied with power, only when disassembling the device. To do this, you must first find detailed instructions or contact a computer repair shop.
If the module stops working, you need to try to enable it using one of the methods described above (using a switch, keyboard shortcut, system utilities or settings in the BIOS).
Three signs indicate the need to install the drivers (again or from scratch):
- The missing component in the list of Device Manager.
- An unknown device appears instead of a Bluetooth adapter.
- The presence of a question or exclamation mark next to the name of the correctly displayed model.
The driver can be updated or rolled back. To update, you need to download the installation file from the portal of the equipment manufacturer (you must enter the exact name of the adapter model in the search bar, consisting of Latin letters and Arabic numbers). In the absence of the Internet, you can look for software on the CD, which is usually included in the documentation set for the laptop. Then start the installation with a double mouse click. If the adapter is visible in the Device Manager, you can select the “Update” item in the context menu, and then specify the downloaded file or disk with software as a source.
See also Why Laptop Not Detecting Phone USB Cable?
You need to roll back the driver after an unsuccessful system update. This item can be found in the “Properties” menu of the bluetooth module (the “Driver” tab).
If, after turning on Bluetooth on the laptop, the devices that need to be connected are not visible, two assumptions should be checked:
- Are the detection settings correct?
- Are devices available for connection?
In the first case, you need to go to the Control Panel and in the category “Devices and Printers” click on the line “Change Bluetooth settings”. Then check the box “Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer”, and also allow the display of notifications about new connections. If you do not see a characteristic icon in the notification panel, you will need to check the box next to the line “Display Bluetooth icon in the notification area”.
On the “Equipment” tab, when you click on the line with the model name under the list of devices, the status “The device is operating normally” should appear.
In the second case, you need to check the connected device:
- Bring the device closer to the PC.
- Switch on the radio module.
- Configure device visibility.
The system will take some time to turn on the bluetooth on the laptop, detect the paired device and connect to it.
If, after all the above operations, it was not possible to start Bluetooth on the laptop, you should contact an electronics repair technician to inspect, test and repair or replace the failed component. It is also useful to scan the system for viruses: malicious software can knock settings, remove drivers, and disable hardware.
Remember that many of the configuration operations require you to enter a password to perform the action as an administrator. Otherwise, Windows will not let you run some system utilities and make changes.