The Windows 10 operating system, despite its well-thought-out architecture and complex system for distributing access rights, sometimes still fails. Sometimes these problems may arise not in the shell itself, but at the kernel level, where the interaction between hardware and software resources of the computer takes place. We will look at how to fix Unexpected kernel mode trap Windows 10, which occurs when there are problems with the system kernel.
Cause of unexpected kernel mode trap windows 10
We are used to the fact that the OS is some kind of magical thing that allows you to run games, applications, freely access files, surf the Internet, and the like.
In fact, this is a complex architecture, which, in general, consists of the following parts:
- Graphical shell – programs, interface and API (partially).
- The kernel is an intermediary program that optimally distributes hardware resources between programs.
- Hardware components are anything that is connected to the motherboard and generates system resources.
The described error is most often associated with a malfunction of the system core, or serious damage to hardware components.
However, thanks to the efforts of some viruses, this list expands to the following reasons:
- The integrity of system files has been violated.
- The system cannot “catch” or process the operation created by the processor.
- Sabotage by malware (some errors can be provoked).
- Incompatibility of drivers and components.
- Problems of OS interaction with RAM.
Even dust in the system unit and power interruptions can provoke a blue screen, and therefore it is quite difficult to instantly determine the cause. Here is solution to most common error Windows Has Blocked This Software Because It Can’t Verify The Publisher.
How To Fix Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap Windows 10
Not to say that this is a critical error, but to fix it, you will have to follow a few of the instructions below to fix Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap Windows 10.
Checking installed hardware and software
Modern operating systems support Plug and Play technology, which allows you to automatically configure a new connected device. Alas, this technology does not always work perfectly. The system may mistakenly install an incompatible driver or assign an existing ID to a new device, resulting in a software conflict. In such cases, we recommend that you follow these instructions:
- Remove all new programs, after which the system crashed. You can do this through the Start-Settings-Apps menu.
- Check the system with an installed antivirus or scanner. We recommend installing the Dr.Web CureIt! portable scanner, which can perform a full system scan after downloading.
- Disable all possible devices.
- Remove the cover and clean the system unit from dust. This should only be done when the power is off. We recommend using a compressed air bottle and a dry cloth. Never use water. Even a turned off computer stores residual current, which, when interacting with water, can damage the board.
If this does not help, then try starting the system in safe mode. To do this, when starting the computer, hold down the “F8” button, and then select “safe mode”. However, it is also useless if the problem is hidden in the kernel itself.
Sometimes even old hardware can fail due to an outdated driver. There are two ways to solve the problem:
- install all the missing drivers yourself;
- install driverpack.
The second option looks simpler, because you just need to download any driverpack from the Internet, and then run it. However, in practice, this program is more likely to litter the computer with unnecessary programs and saved temporary files than solve the problem. Therefore, let’s move on to the manual method.
- Open Device Manager. You can do this through the search or through a special menu that can be opened by pressing the “Win” + “X” key combination.
- Click on the line with the name of the PCM computer and select “Update hardware configuration”. This is not a mandatory action, but it increases the chance of finding the failed component.
- Find devices in the list that have a triangular yellow sign next to them.
- Right-click on them and click “Update Driver”.
- Select “Search for Drivers Automatically”.
The system will do the rest by itself. For prevention, restart your computer after the driver installation is complete. If the driver has not been updated by the system, then you will have to download it yourself from the manufacturer’s website.
If you are facing problem Monitor Not Detecting PC here is solution.
by using Command-line to Fix Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap Windows 10
Sometimes the above methods cannot be done through the GUI. In the worst case, the system does not even allow you to open the desired utility. In this case, we recommend that you reboot the system in recovery environment mode. To do this, start the system in standard mode, and then open the Start menu and press the reset button while holding down the “Shift” key. When the system reboots and the recovery environment starts, we execute the following instructions:
- In the menu that appears, select “Troubleshooting”.
- Select “Advanced Options”.
- Find the “Command Prompt” button.
After that, the console should start. If you have previously made restore points, we recommend that you activate them. To do this, enter the command “rstrui.exe” into the console and press “Enter”. The recovery tool will open, where you need to select a rollback point. In case there are no dots, or this did not help, we recommend running another command.
Its syntax is “bootrec.exe /FixMbr”. The utility should restore the boot sectors of the system. We recommend that you follow this item only in case of hopelessness, because one wrong action can lead to disruption of the OS.
Problems with RAM lead to many errors, some of which do not even allow you to start your computer. To check the health of the RAM, open the command prompt again and enter the command “mdsched.exe”. The utility will give you further instructions, and then restart the computer and start checking memory sectors. However, this is a completely automated operation. Minimal intervention is required from the user.
If the system still found problems in the operation of the RAM, we recommend that you take the device to a service center. Specialists will adjust the RAM frequency in the BIOS. This can be done on your own, but this requires qualifications, patience and the ability to work in the BIOS system. There are many memory recovery algorithms on the Internet, and therefore it makes no sense to repeat them.
System File Checker
The integrity of system files is always at risk if the user is running under an account with administrator rights. To check the integrity of the files, you need a console.
- Open the command line using the search menu or the combination “Win” + “X”. It is recommended that you open it as an administrator.
- Enter the command “sfc /scannow”. The system will check the integrity of the required files. If it finds problems, it will try to solve them automatically. Otherwise, we move on.
- Enter the command “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth”. It will automatically restore system components.
What is kernel mode?
Kernel mode is the operating system’s execution environment, which includes the kernel and all of its supporting modules. The kernel provides a platform for system calls and other low-level operations that enable applications to interact with the computer. Kernel mode can also be used to access hardware resources. Here is fix to Camera In Use By Another App Windows 10.
What does unexpected kernel mode trap mean?
Kernel mode traps (KMTs) are a mechanism by which the kernel can notify user space of an event that has occurred in the kernel. KMTs are typically generated by system calls, and they can be very useful for debugging purposes. However, sometimes KMTs can generate unexpected behavior in userspace. In this article, we will discuss what an unexpected kernel mode trap means and how to deal with it.
What are the main differences between user mode and kernel mode?
User mode is a low-level mode in which the operating system or application running in user mode interacts directly with the hardware. Applications running in user mode can access everything on the computer, including the filesystem, memory, and other resources.
In contrast, kernel-mode is a higher-level mode in which the operating system or application running in kernel mode manages resources and interacts with users through facilities provided by the operating system. Kernel mode provides more security and stability than user mode because applications running in kernel mode can only access resources that have been explicitly allowed to them by the operating system.
Perhaps these are the main ways to get rid of the Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap Windows 10 error. If nothing helped, then there are only two solutions reinstalling the OS and contacting a service center.