Laptop BIOS is the name of the firmware that is responsible for bootstrapping Windows. Used for add-ons, health checks. Not only the correct boot of the computer often depends on this, but also the further stable operation of the equipment. The BIOS of the laptop is written on the motherboards. Newer devices often replace BIOS with UEFI. Both programs require periodic updates. Let discuss How To Update Laptop BIOS for any brand laptop Asus, Lenovo, hp, dell and gigabyte correctly without mistake.
What does it mean to flash and flash BIOS
Fundamentally, there is no point in updating this component, if the computer is currently working stably, there are no plans to improve it. Another thing is when more modern equipment is installed. The primary system may not recognize it due to obsolescence. Then flashing becomes an urgent problem.
Any user will perform such an action on their own, it seems complicated and confusing only at first glance. The process takes no more than 10 minutes. Therefore, we are so simple and update the laptop BIOS.
Check also Lenovo Laptop Overheating Solutions.
How to check the BIOS version
First you need to find out what version of the already installed software.
To do this, you must follow certain instructions:
- First go into the settings. This is the first step for anyone interested in how to flash BIOS on a laptop. First, the computer is restarted. Usually the F1 or F2 keys are pressed to enter the appropriate mode. But sometimes it’s Dek or ESC. Requirements may vary depending on the manufacturer and the conditions of the hardware itself.
- The presence of a blue-gray interface indicates that the technique is outdated. In this case, you can move between tabs only using the keyboard. Information regarding the current version is obtained from the Tools tab. After that, the utility called X EZ Flash 2. X is the designation of the device brand owned by the citizen.
- There are also more modern interfaces, which look more graphical. To the right of the clock, the main version is usually shown here. Thanks to such solutions, everyone will figure out how to update the BIOS on a laptop.
List of recommendations for BIOS Update
Before reinstalling, please read the following tips:
- Providing laptop with uninterrupted power supply.
- Maintain a stable connection to your laptop.
- The use of a third-party storage medium, which is beyond doubt. It’s good if it’s a brand new device that hasn’t been used before.
- Backups are created so that you can revert to older versions at any time. Thanks to this, returning to the previous state is not a problem.
Re-flashing is an option that is used as a last resort. With a lack of experience, negative consequences may appear. Therefore, it is better to study in advance how to flash the BIOS on a laptop.
BIOS Reinstallation process
The following steps will help to cope with the solution of the issue in a minimum amount of time:
- Downloading a new BIOS version to your computer.
- Take a clean USB flash drive, format it. FAT32 is the recommended format for this media. Otherwise, it will not be possible to study the question of how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
- The downloaded document is unpacked, its contents are transferred to an external storage medium.
- The computer is rebooted enter the BIOS. Expose the boot from the media.
- Save changes.
- Wait for the device to complete reboot.
- After completing the process, the technician will ask the user what to do next. The Update item is required.
- The next window will offer to choose the version for installing BIOS. Usually there is one option, all that remains is to press Enter.
- You need to wait a few minutes for the process to finish, after which the computer will restart itself. It is not that hard to figure out how to flash the BIOS on a laptop.
You may also like What Is The Best Modem For Laptop Internet.
Important. Sometimes only a DOS window opens. The user is not offered any choice. Then you will need to enter the following command: IFLASH / PFxxx. BIO.
Instead of xxx, we indicate the name of the file on the media. The main thing is to support the extension. Otherwise, it will be difficult to understand further how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
How do I know if BIOS needs updating?
There are usually changes in newer versions of this tool, but they are minimal. Significant changes in the operation of laptops after reinstallation may not be noticed. The device will definitely not be more functional and faster in operation. But on the other hand, during the update itself, there are risks that the user will disrupt the performance of any components.
It is necessary to reinstall only if it really fixes the existing problems, at least in part. Then it is worthwhile to study in more detail the question of how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
How To Update Laptop BIOS?
There are several ways to solve the problem. Through the OS – a method that suits all inexperienced users. Others can take advantage of the jump to the BIOS itself.
Update BIOS Via OS
The scheme of this process is distinguished by the following description:
- First, they visit the official website of the manufacturer that released the motherboard. It also often says how to flash a laptop BIOS. It is enough to open a resource dedicated to a specific computer brand. Then go to the Settings section, enter the device model.
- After that, a section with drivers and utilities is required.
- Next, select the OS with which the laptop is running. You can select the “Other” section if you are not using Windows.
- The current version of the system is downloaded from the official page. How to install Bios is another matter.
- The next step is to install a special program that will be responsible for updating. The user can choose any kind of software that he considers the most convenient.
- Open the program. From the drop-down menu, select the section associated with the update.
- Specifies the path where the file is located.
- Click on start, wait for the end of the installation process. It is important to ensure that the device reboots. Everyone will figure out how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
Update via BIOS
You can also update an element using the shell itself:
- Downloading the new version from the official site. The file must be transferred to an external hard drive.
- The flash drive is inserted into a laptop, the device is rebooted and entered into the BIOS.
- Go to the second tab by selecting the Start Easy Flash function.
- A window will open prompting you to select a third-party media. The program will explain in detail how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
Check also How To Get Laptop Professionally Cleaned.
How to prepare bootable media
You cannot use the usual technologies associated with recording files on media. Additional training required. The new laptop is no exception.
Interesting. It is better to use the Rufus program, which will simplify the solution of the issue. It is enough to launch the application without changing anything in the parameters. You just need to specify the FAT32 format and MS-DOS-mode in the recording format. Opposite the line of the boot disk, they click the checkbox, if initially it is not there. Without performing these actions, the device is simply not recognized exactly as bootable. In some cases, the control program and the firmware file must be downloaded additionally. And before that – understand how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
About video cards
GeForce and Radeon are companies that have long taken leading positions in this direction.
Here you can use one of two programs:
- ATIFlash. In each case, you need to separately disassemble how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
For DOS mode it is mandatory to create bootable media. The main thing is to make sure that the card is single-processor, otherwise the solutions mentioned may simply not work. The proposed firmware method cannot be used if information is immediately issued on two systems at the same time.
What else needs to be considered
The full version of the name is usually applied to the motherboard itself. Such boards always have several modifications, so it is important to use only the appropriate option. A different BIOS version can be provided in each case. Only then do we rearrange correctly.
The revision number is also recorded separately, the downloaded files depend on it.
Note. After a successful update, you can continue to work normally on your computer. But sometimes the system refuses to boot – for example, if the settings were wrong initially. This happens even if the process ends successfully.
The following factors should be checked:
- The correct date and time setting.
- The priority on the disk, which is used as the boot disk.
- In the new version, you can easily save the frequency and memory settings used earlier. This will make it easier to understand how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
But the last point is relevant for users who like to customize literally every detail.
If the update was unsuccessful – here you can fix the situation. It is better to close the update tool and reinstall the process. After it is restarted to check its functionality.
You can choose to install not a backup file, but a newer version. Then it is easier to recover the information you need. It is usually easy to find instructions and hints for specific equipment models. And quickly learn how to flash BIOS on a laptop.
Interesting. Older BIOS versions may not support new hard drives, especially if their capacity is up to 2 TB or more. The same goes for more modern processors that support increased power and speed. And any hardware that needed an upgrade.
In all of these situations, updating will do more good than harm. If the computer has been turned on for a long time, and the battery has run out, there is a high probability that the settings will be reset. In this case, you need to enter BIOS again so that all parameters are set by default. Otherwise, stable work will become impossible.
Updating the BIOS incorrectly without precautions often results in even a loss of device warranty. Then, in the event of a serious repair, you cannot do without additional expenses.
If you are gamer lover here is Best Asus Laptops For Gaming.
Updating components using DOS mode is the best choice for most users, the level of training does not matter. But this solution is not suitable for a standard system, it is more compatible with modern components. Be extra careful with graphics cards. Indeed, with any mistake, they can fail, even with minor problems. Then you cannot do without additional consultation with a specialist. And this is associated with costs and other urgent issues. Often it is necessary to replace the card or reinstall the system again, which also wastes time and effort for the user himself.